APJ Abdul Kalam Birthday - Interesting Facts, Achievements, Quotes, on his 88th Birth Anniversary
On the 88th birth anniversary of APJ Abdul Kalam - Check out Interesting Facts, Achievements, Quotes related to him.
Modern Indian history is totally incomplete without the mention of A. P. J. Abdul Kalam - a great scientist, a great teacher, statesman, and above all a great human being. He is also known people's President and as a "Missile Man of India". He was born on October 15, 1931, on Pamban Island, Rameshwaram, Tamil Nadu. In 2015, to give him honor, the UN proclaims his birth anniversary as the "World Student's Day". A. P. J. Abdul Kalam will always be remembered for his simplicity, his achievements, humility, and inspiring words.
Below are some of the interesting lesser-known facts about APJ Abdul Kalam, on his 88th Birth Anniversary, which you all should not miss out about one of the greatest men on this planet.
"If you want to shine like a Sun. First, burn like a Sun." - Dr. APJ Abdul Kalam.
Biography of APJ Abdul Kalam
Name: Avul Pakir Jainulabdeen Abdul Kalam (Dr. A.P.J. Abdul Kalam)
Nick Name: Missile Man
Occupation: Engineer, Scientist, Author, Professor, Politician
Born: 15-Oct -1931
Place of Birth: Dhanushkodi, Rameswaram, Tamil Nadu, India
Died: 27 July 2015
Died at the age of: 83
Place of Death: Shillong, Meghalaya, India
Famous as: Dr. A.P.J. Abdul Kalam President from 2002 to 2007
Preceded by: Kocheril Raman Narayanan (President from 1997-2002)
He was the 11th President of India and elected against Lakshmi Sehgal from 2002 to 2007. He was honored with countless prestigious awards including India's highest civilian honor "Bharat Ratna" in 1997.
The whole life of APJ Abdul Kalam is inspirational to all those, who completely believe in -simple living and high thinking.
Here are some of the interesting facts (Awards & Achievements) about Kalam's life:
1. APJ Abdul Kalam was born on 15 October 1931, in a Tamil Muslim family. His father's name was Jainulabudeen (boat owner) and Ashiamma, who was a house maker, in Ramanathapuram district of Tamil Nadu. His childhood was not easy and privileged like other children.
2. To support his poor family, young Abdul Kalam used to dispense newspapers after his school hours to add some amount of money to his father's income.
3. APJ Abdul Kalam was a hardworking student too, who enjoyed spending hours on his studies.
4. His favorite subjects were Mathematics and Physics and ultimately, he took up aerospace engineering later in life.
5. His interest and work in aerospace engineering brought him close to India's civilian space program and military missile development efforts.
6. For his work on the development of ballistic missile and launch vehicle technology, Kalam came to be known as Missile Man of India.
7. India owes its development as a nuclear nation to Kalam's organizational and technical support for Pokhran-II nuclear tests in 1998, the first such tests after a gap of 24 years.
8. At ISRO, He was one of the pioneers of India's first space launch vehicle program.
9. Kalam was recipient of Padma Bhushan, Padma Vibhushan and Bharat Ratna.
10. He was also a recipient of honorary doctorates from 40 universities.
11. A creative writer, Kalam has authored around 15 books on various different subjects ranging from nuclear physics to spiritual experiences.
12. His autobiography Wings of Fire: An Autobiography, first published in English, has been translated into 13 languages including French and Chinese.
13. Also, there are six additional biographies on his life and works.
14. Kalam's life also inspired I Am Kalam, a 2011 Hindi film directed by Nila Madhab Panda.
15. The film showcases a poor Rajasthani boy, who is inspired by the life of the former President of India, APJ Abdul Kalam. It's Kalam's life which fuels a strong desire to learn in the young boy.
16. Sworn in on 25 July 2002, Kalam became 11th President of India, succeeding KR Narayanan. For his simple and humble attitude, he was affectionately known as the 'People's President.'
APJ Abdul Kalam Quotes Thoughts That Will Inspire Your Life
APJ Abdul Kalam Quotes
- “You have to dream before the dream comes true.” — A.P.J. Abdul Kalam
- “The bird is powered by its own life and by its motivation.” ― A.P.J. Abdul Kalam
- “One best book is equal to a hundred good friends, but one good friend is equal to a library.” — Abdul Kalam
- “Life is a difficult game. You can win it only by retaining your birthright to be a person.” ― Abdul Kalam
- “I am not a Handsome guy, but I can give my hand-to-some one who needs help. beauty is in the heart not in the face.” —Abdul Kalam
- “You cannot change your future, but you can change your habits, and surely your habits will change your future.” — Dr. A.P.J. Abdul Kalam
- “Dream, Dream, Dream, Dream transform into thoughts and thoughts result in action.” ― Dr. A.P.J. Abdul Kalam
- “Knowledge with action converts adversity into prosperity.” ― Abdul Kalam Quotes
- “We have no ability to be equal to all have opportunities equal to their ability lane.” — A.P.J. Abdul Kalam
- “Success is when your signature turns into your autograph.” ― Abdul Kalam
- “Man needs difficulties because to enjoy the success that they need to.” ― A.P.J. Abdul Kalam
- “Excellence is a continuous process and not an accident.” ― A.P.J. Abdul Kalam
- “The essence of a happy life and a peaceful society lies in one sentence – What can I Give?” ― Abdul Kalam
- “Your Best Teacher is Your Last Mistake.” ― Dr. A.P.J. Abdul Kalam
- “Great dreams of great dreamers are always transcended.” ― Dr. A.P.J. Abdul Kalam
- “Science is a beautiful gift to humanity; we should not distort it.” ― A.P.J. Abdul Kalam
Other Awareness Day on 15th October