26 June - International Day Against Drug Abuse and Trafficking
International Day Against Drug Abuse and Illicit Trafficking is celebrated on 26 June every year to spread awareness about drug abuse & illegal drug trade.
The United Nations’ (UN) International Day Against Drug Abuse and Illicit Trafficking falls on June 26 each year to raise awareness of the major problem that illicit drugs represent to society. It was in the year 1987 that the General Assembly decided to celebrate this day to increase the awareness about how major a problem drug abuse is. This day is supported by individuals, communities and various organizations all over the world aimed at strengthening action and spreading awareness about drug abuse and illegal drug trade in the world. It is an expression of determination towards the goal of achieving an international drug-free society.
The theme for the 2019 International Day Against Drug Abuse and Illicit Trafficking “Health for Justice. Justice for Health” emphasizes the integrated nature of the rights- and health-based approaches, which are both highlighted in this Ministerial Declaration.
What Do People Do?
The UN Office on Drugs and Crime (UNODC) has, over the years, been actively involved in launching campaigns to mobilize support for drug control. The UNODC often teams up with other organizations and encourages people in society to actively take part in these campaigns.
Governments, organizations and individuals in many countries, including Vietnam, Borneo and Thailand, have actively participated in promotional events and larger scale activities, such as public rallies and mass media involvement, to promote the awareness of dangers associated with illicit drugs.
The International Day Against Drug Abuse and Illicit Trafficking is a global observance and not a public holiday.
International Day against Drug Abuse and Illicit Trafficking 2019
International Day against Drug Abuse and Illicit Trafficking will be celebrated on 26th June, 2019 on Wednesday.
About Drug Abuse
Drug abuse or drug addiction is a psychiatric, social and psychological problem that not only affects the youth of the entire world but affects a large area of people of different age. It ruins the individuals and the society in manifolds- socially, physically, culturally, emotionally and economically.
About Illicit Drug Trafficking
Drug trafficking is an international illegal trade that involves the production, cultivation, dissemination and sale of substance which prohibited according to the basic laws. The United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime (UNODC) is effectively monitoring and researching illegal international drug markets in order to attain a more comprehensive study of this menace.
Past Observances Themes
- 2016-2018 - "Listen First - Listening to children and youth is the first step to help them grow healthy and safe"
- 2015 - "Lets Develop — Our Lives — Our Communities — Our Identities — Without Drugs"
- 2014 - "A message of hope: Drug use disorders are preventable and treatable"
- 2013 - "Make health your 'new high' in life, not drugs"
- 2012 - "Global Action for Healthy Communities without Drugs"
- 2011 - "Say No!"
- 2010 - "Think health - not drugs"
- 2009 - "Do drugs control your life? Your life. Your community. No place for drugs."
- 2008 - "Do drugs control your life? Your life. Your community. No place for drugs."
- 2007 - "Do drugs control your life? Your life. Your community. No place for drugs."
- 2006 - "Value yourself...make healthy choices"
- 2005 - "Drugs is not child's play"
- 2004 - "Drugs: treatment works"
- 2003 - "Let's talk about drugs"
- 2002 - "Substance abuse and HIV/AIDS"
- 2001 - "Sports against drugs"
- 2000 - "Facing reality: denial, corruption and violence"