Pregnancy Week – 17
Now that you’re 17 weeks pregnant and in just the last two weeks your baby has doubled in weight! Fatty tissue begins to form; it helps your little one produce heat and also plays an important role in metabolism.
Now that you’re 17 weeks pregnant and in just the last two weeks your baby has doubled in weight! Fatty tissue begins to form; it helps your little one produce heat and also plays an important role in metabolism. By now, the circulatory and urinary systems are functioning and hair on the head, eyebrows, and eyelashes.
How big is your 17 weeks baby?
A baby at pregnancy week 17 is the size of a pomegranate (this is roughly the size of a potato). Your 17-week fetus is about 5.1 inches (13 cm) long and weighs about 5.9 ounces.
Pregnancy Belly Week 17
In the 17 week, the definition of your waist will gradually disappear as your uterus moves upwards and out of your pelvis. But there’s an upside too: at this stage of pregnancy, many women start to take on a glow that results from an increase in blood volume and a surge of hormones. This can mean glossy, thick hair and radiant skin. One of the most noticeable signs at this stage of pregnancy is an increase in the frequency and strength of fetal movement.
Pregnancy Symptoms Week 17
Some of the most common symptoms when you’re 17 weeks pregnant include:
- Increased bodily fluids. Vaginal discharge, sweat, mucus, and other fluids are in full force because of your increased blood flow.
- Itchy boobs and belly. As baby's growing, your skin is stretching thinner and can be more sensitive. Resist the urge to scratch, and find a soothing skin cream that eases the itch.
- More rapid weight gain. You may have gained about 5 to 10 pounds by now. It’s normal to gain about 1 to 2 pounds per week in the second trimester.
- Stretch marks. As you’re putting on some pounds and your uterus continues to expand—we hate to break it to you—getting some stretch marks might be inevitable. For this try to drink lots of water to stay hydrated and use a good quality moisturizer to try to combat them.
Pregnancy Ultrasound Week 17
Your 17-week fetus is growing a stronger, thicker umbilical cord too. You may have a 17 weeks pregnant ultrasound if you’ve opted to have a cordocentesis. In this procedure, umbilical cord blood is tested for signs of chromosomal abnormalities. The doctor uses an ultrasound to find the place where the cord meets the placenta—that’s the spot where she needs to remove the blood.
Pregnancy Lifestyle Week 17
Your pregnancy may be a challenging time for you, but do your best to follow a healthy lifestyle. This will provide the best support for you and your baby until full term. Your diet should contain a wide variety of foods from all the recommended food groups, including a mixture of fresh fruit and vegetables whenever possible. You should also aim to drink between eight and 10 8-ounce glasses of water (from all sources) a day unless your doctor recommends otherwise.
Pregnancy Checklist Week 17
Here is a checklist for week 17 pregnancy:
- Restart your exercise routine, if you took a break in previous weeks to stay fit and healthy.
- Decision point: Will you find out baby's gender?
- If you are working woman, plan your maternity leave
- Continue taking prenatal vitamins.
- Continue drinking about eight to 12 glasses of water a day.