October 10 - World Mental Health Day 2019
A key objective of the 2019 World Mental Health Day campaign is to reduce the suicide rates around the world. So join the cause.
Every year, Day is praised on 10 October, with the objective of spreading awareness of mental health issues and mobilizing efforts in support of mental health, around the world.
This particular day provides an opportunity for all the activists and volunteers, who are working on various mental health issues to discuss related to their inputs and contributions, what challenges they are facing, and what more required to be done to make mental health care a reality for people across the world.
World Mental Health Day 2019 Theme
The theme selected for this year’s World Mental Health Day is “Mental Health Promotion and Suicide Prevention”.
Facts about Mental Health
About 12% of the world’s population is somehow affected by mental disorders. This comes to about 1 out of 4 people or almost 500 million people who suffer from mental illness and could benefit from getting the proper diagnosis and treatments related to various different mental issues. The World Health Organization showed in 2002 that over 150 million people around the world suffer from depression.
Every 40 seconds, someone loses their life to suicide.
In addition, to participate in any events and activities related to World Mental Health Day taking place on or around 10 September, try to prepare yourself to take “40 seconds of action” on 10 October to help:
- Raise awareness of the significance of suicide as a global public health problem;
- Spread knowledge of what can be done to prevent suicide;
- Try to shrink the stigma associated with suicide;
- And lastly, let people who are struggling with this situation in their life, know that they are not alone.
WHO to launch ‘40 seconds of action’ campaign on World Mental Health Day
The World Health Organisation (WHO) is all set to launch a "40 seconds of action" campaign on 10th October - World Mental Health Day to raise awareness of the scale of suicide around the world and the role that every individual can play to help in preventing it. The campaign is mainly based on the observation that every 40 seconds, someone loses their life to suicide.
Also Read - National Depression Screening Day 2019
If you are passionate about making a difference for better mental health worldwide, here are 5 things you can do to support World Mental Health Day:
1. Download World Mental Health Day’s campaign materials on wfmh.global
2. Wear your green ribbon
3. Update your Facebook profile picture with the official World Mental Health Day logo
4. Follow World Mental Health Day campaign on Facebook @WMHDay1 and on Twitter @WMHDay to share their content
5. Host a “fun” raising event to support your local mental health support groups (e.g. run, bake sale, etc), brand them with the World Mental Health Day logo, and share your pictures on social media outlets with #WorldMentalHealthDay
Join the care4cute team, on 10 October, in “40 seconds of action” to raise awareness of the scale of suicide around the world and the role that each of us can play to help prevent it.