Viral Infection in Kids - Cause & Remedies
Viral Infection is very common in children. Learn about its Causes, Symptoms, Home Remedies.
Children often fall prey to viral infections. Studies show that a child during his early growing years can be a victim of about 12 viral ailments in a year. Children often become the target of a virus immediately after recovering from another virus. However, the incidence of children catching viral infection generally decreases with growing age.
What Is Viral Infection?
Infection produced by viruses or tiny germs in the body is called a viral infection. There are a plethora of viruses that can infect nearly any part of the body. They function like hijackers by attacking the normal cells and then using those very cells to grow and breed more viruses.
Viruses are responsible for the occurrence of common viral infections like flu, common cold along with a sore throat, diarrhea and vomiting, warts. They can also trigger severe infections like smallpox, Ebola and HIV/AIDS.
Causes of Viral Infection in Kids
A child can easily catch a viral infection from an infected child in school or any other public place as the virus can spread from a runny nose or virus-infected hands, even a cough or sneeze. Viruses may also get transferred through feces, vomit and insect bites. Viral infections can affect kids through contaminated food and water. Viral infections commonly occur during seasonal changes. Viruses usually get passed on either horizontally like from one infected person to the other or vertically like from a mom to her kid.
Common Diseases Caused By Viruses?
Some of the common diseases caused by viruses are listed below:
- Influenza or flu
- Common cold
- Ear infections
- Epstein-Barr virus
- Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome (SARS)
- Hand-foot-mouth disease
Signs and Symptoms of Viral Infection in a Child
The symptoms can differ depending on the type of viral infection. The most common signs and symptoms of viral infection in a child can be:
- A runny or blocked nose
- A sore throat
- Watery red eyes
- Sneezing or coughing
- Fever and chills
- Diarrhea and vomiting
- Rashes that blanch upon pressing
- Lack of appetite
- Body ache
Home Remedies to Cure Viral Infection in Your Child
Some of the home remedies that can prove useful in curing the viral infection in your child can be:
- Make sure that your kid takes in plenty of fluids. Drinking water at regular intervals will not only soothe a sore throat but also help prevent dehydration which can result from diarrhea, vomiting or fever.
- It is important that your child takes adequate rest. This way his immune system may be able to fight the virus
- If the child is experiencing difficulty in consuming solids, try feeding him liquids like clear soups, broths, natural fruit juices instead.
- Using saline nasal drops may prove useful in clearing up a blocked nose. A child with an unblocked nose can eat with considerable ease.
- A mix of honey and ginger juice can bring substantial relief.
- Black pepper powder mixed with honey can provide relief from a cough.
- Steaming or gargling can help soothe a sore throat and blocked nose.
- The use of a humidifier in the room can also prove useful.