Ways to Teach Reduce, Reuse, and Recycle to Kids
Learn how to teach your children the benefits & importance of recycling? This article will help every parent to get a better idea.
Teaching your kid to reduce, reuse and recycle by setting an example is probably the best way to help him understand and inculcate these principles. You should first begin at home extending later to involve the community, country, and the world. Involving your kid in household efforts may inspire him to make the right choices when he grows up. There can be many fun ways to teach kids to reduce, reuse, and recycle. Here is a list of some interesting reduces reuse recycle activities for kids:
Tips for How to Reduce
Some helpful tips to reduce can be:
- Ask your kid to serve himself only the needed portion of food to avoid throwing away any leftovers.
- Guide your kid to utilize the whole paper for writing and drawing purposes instead of wasting the paper by writing just a few lines.
- Persuade him to buy products in bulk like breakfast cereal and detergent to reduce the amount of packaging.
- Convince him to opt for reusable shopping bags in place of paper or plastic ones.
- Teach him to refrain from using bottled water and products that come wrapped in styrofoam.
- Inculcate the habit of growing vegetables and fruits at home in your child to reduce grocery shopping from the store.
- Choose durable products that may not require frequent replacements.
Tips for How to Reuse
Few useful tips on how to reuse can be:
- Challenge your kid to think of inventive ways to reuse discarded packing and empty containers.
- Propose fun DIY craft projects to transform cardboard boxes, kitchen roll tubes, egg trays into useful items like planters, pen holders by using some imagination.
- Select containers that can be refilled.
- Prompt your kid to use broken bits of crayons to make pretty candles to gift someone.
- Try and repair appliances, fix products whenever possible, mend clothes to use available resources again instead of buying new things.
- Make efficient use of paper by printing on both sides.
Tips for How to Recycle
Certain tips on how to recycle can be:
- Influence your kid to separate household trash into recyclable and non-recyclable bins.
- In case your city has a recycling center you can visit it along with your kid to make him aware of different recyclable items.
- Encourage your kid to take part in recycling drives organized by schools or local authorities.
- If possible enroll your kid in recycling programs which may motivate him to practice recycling in the day to day functioning.
- Find out about retailers who accept castoff products like cans, batteries, empty bottles and involve your kid in the whole exercise.
- You can also create a composite pit in your backyard to dispose of the household trash.
- Ask your kid to find out ways to recycle cardboard boxes, old newspapers, tins, and renovate them into something useful.
- Coax your kid to plant trees. You can also embrace grasscycling by leaving the grass cuttings after clipping the lawn to mix with the soil and enrich it.